Thursday, September 11, 2003

The woman sitting in front of me on the train this morning had a terrible cough. She coughed every thirty seconds or so for the duration of the forty five minute train ride. It drove me close to madness. I restrained myself from yelling at her and asking her to stop her incessant coughing when I realized that it probably wasn't her fault. She couldn't help it. Though maybe it could have been prevented through better hygiene and more vitamins. I could not decide on whether or not to offer this poor woman a cough drop. I didn't work up the courage to ask her. Her coughing continued. But then the question plagued me for the rest of the day: did I want to offer her a cough drop for my comfort or for hers?

I am convinced that the fat fuck sitting next to me on the second train washed his clothes with cigarette butts.

No comments: