Sunday, September 21, 2003

The past week's been a rough one. I haven't made love to her in two weeks...neither of us seem at all interested. I've been staying up late doing old jigsaw puzzles from my childhood that I found in my father's attic. But more disconcerting than my lack of sex that is how my rage has been much worse than it usually is. Perhaps it's the passing of summer or because I keep seeing previews for that Wanda Sykes show on FOX (I had to buy a pumpkin just to smash it in my driveway to relieve the tension seeing those commercials instils in me). Things have been really uncomfortable at work lately. It seems like I'm forgetting how to calmly deal with situations that irritate me.

Anyway, I was on the phone with my mother earlier in the week while I was stuck in traffic on I-95, and she was excitedly telling me about going to the brand new Best Buy store that opened up back home. For a moment, my heart sunk and the sky seemed to turn grey as I pondered why the grand opening of some stupid megastore would be some worth getting excited about, and I wanted to cry knowing that going to Best Buy would be the highlight of my mother's week. Then, just as quickly, I imagined about twenty DVDs that I've been meaning to pick up. I continued talking to my mother for the next fifteen minutes, not hearing a word she was saying, then told her I loved her and said goodbye. I then got off the highway and spent an hour looking for the nearest Best Buy store, but sadly I didn't find one. Luckily I found two Targets, three Walmarts, and two Blockbusters. Between all five stores I spent two hundred and eighty dollars on the following DVDs: The new Harry Potter movie, the new Lord of the Rings movie, Minority Report, Black Hawk Down, Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace (even though it was terrible, I thought of how awesome it would look on the Sony HDTV and progressive scan DVD player I plan on purchasing), Training Day, The complete third season of the Sopranos, Moulin Rouge, the Back to the Future Trilogy, Chicago, and The Matrix (I already own a copy but a friend's been borrowing it for two months, and this one was value-priced at 14.99). My DVD binge ended my shitty week on a high note, but so far I've only watched two episodes on Disc One of the Sopranos, and the rest of the DVDs lay, still shrink-wrapped, in a stack on my bedroom floor, next to a bookcase full of books I've never read.